Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Her belly is extended on the sides and hard. She had loose…

Her belly is extended...

Her belly is extended on the sides and hard

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She had loose stool earlier and urinated in house last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jango about 11, lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jango?

I just brushed her back and she urinated right then. Very unlike her

3/19/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I understand your concern. A hard and distended belly should be investigated right away. She could be "guarding" her belly because she is in either abdominal pain or spinal pain, OR she could have a dilated or even twisted stomach which is a life-threatening emergency.

It would be best if you can go ahead and take her to the emergency room now for a quick x-ray to make sure this is not life-threatening. I wish you the best! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION (or I will not receive any credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Thanks!

What do you mean by "guarding" her belly?

it means that her body tightens up her belly muscles because she hurts

Heath Wilkerson

Thank you so much for your advice. I took Jango into the emergency clinic. Her heart rate was very high, said she was in shock. Also, she did have bloat or GDV. Because of her age and the extent of surgery, we humanely put her down. My heart is sad, but I am so glad I got information and took her in. I didn' want her in pain. Thanks again.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but I'm also very glad that she didn't suffer overnight and she was able to go peacefully, because GDV is very painful. I hope with time you will be able to focus on all the good memories you had with her. May God bless you and comfort you during this difficult time.

Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson