Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Eye's are swollen shut and very lethargic, Ali and 7 years…

Customer Question
Eye's are swollen shut...

Eye's are swollen shut and very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Ali and 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ali?

7

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/19/2018
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 4 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

Heelo,

Was Ali Outside before this happened?

Any hoves. sneezing or problems breathing?

How long ago did you notice the swelling in the eyes?

Joan

he is always outside. I noticed the swelling in the eyes when I got home from work around 9pm tonight
I did not notice and hives or sneezing

Thank you my name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. Ali is showing signs of an Allergic reaction. Allergens can be inhaled, ingested and contact. This is the time of years we start to see allergens affecting Pets. I suspect this is an allergic reation, and we can offer some immediate help. Please give Ali 1 mg of Plain Benedryl per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. This should help with the swelling of the eyes and make him feel better. You can also use a cool compress on the wyes to help reducae the swelling. If this is an allergy issue and he is housed outside it may become problematic if there is something in the area causing the swelling and the way he is feeling. I suggest a Visit to your Vet for a long acting and long term Antihistamine that Ali can take daily to prevent this type of problem.

The Benedryl may make him sleepy which is normal.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Did you have further questions about this information? I want to add you can try some cool compresses to reducate the swelling.

Joan

Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 3 months ago

Did the Benedryl help the eyes? How is your dog doing?

Joan