Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

14 year old Schnauzer. Started having diarrhea Wednesday…

Hello. 14 year old...

Hello. 14 year old Schnauzer. Started having diarrhea Wednesday afternoon. Continued Thursday. Slowed on Friday. Not eating but is drinking water. Diarrhea slowed but has started again and is now bloody. Still runny.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

Has been healthy and normal up to the sudden diarrhea

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is she on any medication currently?

Any vomiting?

Any history of illness or injury?

No to all.
I will add she did eat about 2 tablespoons of chicken on Saturday.

The lack of eating couple with the diarrhea may be linked to nausea. Since her stool is bloody, I do think she should be evaluated and treated by a veterinarian tonight or overnight at a veterinary ER. At her age, there are many conditions which might cause these symptoms from kidney or liver dysfunction to an acute GI upset to pancreatitis.

If you're unable to have her examined and treated tonight, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I just received the phone call notification. Were you also wanting to speak on the phone, JACustomer?

Can I crush the pill and add water and inject it in her mouth via pet syringe?
I do not have a very near by tonight I can get her to a very tomorrow. Should I try the pepcid tonight? Why was it just dark brown runny stool and now it is blood, that sounds bad.

You can, but be sure she swallows. If she drools, she won't get the medication. Also be sure she doesn't inhale the fluid. I would try the pepcid this evening if you cannot have her seen. Blood is a bad sign, but many dogs survive blood stool so long as their symptoms are addressed promptly. Your vet will want to perform diagnostics and certainly get her on antibiotics.

Sorry I didn't know if my question went thru. I am not able to get you a vet tonight. But I will tomorrow. Should I start pepcid tonight?
Can I crush it and add some water and inject it in her mouth since she is not eating?
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome. Good luck to you both!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy