Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had a tumour near vulva. Hesitant to remove since she…

My dog had a...

My dog had a tumour near vulva. Hesitant to remove since she is 14. It keeps bleeding. Vet did X-rays no cancer internally and didn’t really advise as to how I can stop this bleeding. Antibiotics for 2 weeks are now done.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Lots of skin issues and papillomas. This tumour basically popped up overnight. She is eating fine and had energy. First sign she want herself did not seem aware when we come home always had greets at door.

3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

What breed is she?

How is her health aside from the tumor?

Did you receive pictures? Sorry don’t want to call.

They just came through. One second while I take a peek.

It's hard to tell where this area is bleeding. Does it appear to be cracked open anywhere?

Not really I have been trying to keep her covered after going out to pee. It seems to ooze a bit or bright red if she licks or hits but I really am not sure where it is. Doesn’t seem cracked

Without being able to tell where it's bleeding it'll be hard to stop the bleeding. I can, however, give you some tips on how to keep her from licking it. Is she in an e-collar yet?

I’m trying to keep it dry not sure if I should put on an antibiotic. Doesn’t really want me touching it

I have been using a zen collar but I think she was bleeding so not sure if she hit it somehow

If she's not in an e-collar yet, that's step one. Make sure that it goes at least 1" past her nose so she cannot turn around and lick herself around the tip of the collar. Directions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU If the zen collar doesn't prevent her from licking, it's not long/big enough and she needs a different one.

Second, if you can see where it's bleeding you can apply cornstarch to the area to help stop the bleeding.

If not, third, you can apply neosporin 2x daily.

Fourth, she could also be placed in to bitch britches or a diaper to protect the area from trauma and minimize bleeding.

Now, if she's in good health and the tumor is the only ailment she's currently facing that is detracting from her quality of life, I would recommend having the mass removed. These usually come off quite well if they are connected to no other raised tissue (like the vulva). The area will be clipped, cleaned, surgically removed, and the skin sutured back flush with the body. Once healed, it will look like no mass was ever there. If she does not have this tumor removed, chances are her symptoms will worsen and the tumor may become necrotic or infected. This is why I'd have the area excised now vs. waiting.

I would also see if your vet will show you where the area is bleeding and ask them to show you how to apply a cautery powder (like Quikstop) or use silver nitrate sticks (if she's tolerant).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Were you able to see my reply above?

I will take her to vet again. I have ordered diapers to protect but it looks like it’s in vulva

If it's inside of the vulva, this will be more difficult to remove. Your picture above did come through, but it's close and blurry. I cannot obtain much information from it at all.

Ok thank you

You're welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse