Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

She ate a throw rug with rubber backing yesterday. She has

Customer Question

She ate a throw rug with rubber backing yesterday. She has vomited 3 times. She won't hold chicken and rice down. She did poop and is acting ok besides the vomiting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jozie, Staffordshire terrier she is 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jozie?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

We may be dealing with a blockage, In a cans like this with the vomiting we need to fast the dog for the next 12-24 hours. I would also like to give your dog something to calm the stomach called Pepcid AC 10 mg. I supply the weight I can give you a dosage. We generally give .25mg per pound.

After the 12-24 hours of fasting we can start the bland diet of one part skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice and a tablespoon of Pure canned pumpkin. Feed this in small increments.

If the vomiting continues with the Pepcid AC I suggest get to the ER Vet. They will need an X ray to see what is going on. They may be able it give something to pass it through or you may be looking at surgery if they cannot get this blockage to pass.You need to watch for stool passing and continuing to vomit.

Please hit reply to discuss this information

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

How is your dog doing since we lat spoke? Has the vomiting stopped?

Joan