Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an 82 lb pit mix who was neutered on Wednesday.

I have an 82...

I have an 82 lb pit bull mix who was neutered on Wednesday. Throughout Thursday Friday and Saturday the surgical site was improving but now he has fluid in one of the former testicles and a lump in the middle of his penis. I’m concerned about the swelling coming back and the fluid that has followed. I’m wondering if it is safe to wait until tomorrow morning to take him to be seen by our regular vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He has had an ecollar on and I have tried to keep him from doing strenuous activity but he did jump after a bug that was flying around our house last night before I noticed any swelling

3/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share clear, well-lit pictures of what you're seeing?

Give me just a few minutes to make some modifications to the pics you've sent and type a reply.

Please take a look at this photograph: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s693/sh/2ffb75e0-2d27-4e63-b3e1-0fd671f65d7b/29324d4ca47a1225

The green area circled is an area that normally experiences some swelling for the penis itself, though it can be observed outside of the prepuce, as well. This is where the bulbus glandis is located on the penis (under the prepuce) which swells during excitement, erection and so forth. It's primary cause is to tie the male to the female during breeding. Although he's neutered now, you may see occasional swelling here. I wouldn't be too concerned if this is where you're seeing swelling. It should be intermittent. Try to keep your companion from getting overly excited, playing, interacting with other dogs in a dominant or sexual manner, etc. This will decrease the risk of swelling in the area. Also avoid toys or household items he might tend to hump, if this is a habit he's developed.

The blue circle shows where the surgical site is. It appears normal in the picture and will remain puckered a bit until full healing has taken place. 10-14 days from now this will lay flat once again, just as it did before surgery. Healing must take place first, though.

The pink circle is his scrotum. Although devoid of testicles now, we can see some swelling from energetic dogs. It doesn't look too swollen at this point so rest should be implemented. If the swelling continues or you begin to see bruising over the prepuce, inner thighs, etc. he needs to be examined. Some dogs, although it's fairly uncommon in these situations, will develop bruising secondary to underlying immune-mediated disorders and clotting problems from ingested toxins and even tick borne illnesses. This often happens when dogs come in to rescue or are adopted from a shelter (or street) where their history is unknown. If his history is well known (such as he's been with you since he was a pup) the likelihood of this being a concern is rather low. Additionally, it's lower if bloodwork was performed before surgery to check platelet count, as well.

For now, I would keep a close eye on him and keep him restful. If needed, place him in a kennel so he doesn't become overly active. Leash walk him for the next 3 days when he needs to potty. No hard playtime or jumping off of elevated surfaces like the couch, a porch, stairs, etc. Keeping a happy, excited dog calm after surgery can be easier said than done. If he's not on any other medications, you might also try 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours to help take the edge off of his energy.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Okay thank you so much for your assistance

Sure thing. Good luck to you both. If you have additional questions as the days go on about his healing just send along a response or other pictures. I'll be happy to help further and so long as you reply to this thread there will be no additional charge for assistance.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy