Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been having head twitches and is spinning non…

My dog has been...

My dog has been having head twitches and is spinning non stop since about 10 this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

He has been spinning non stop for 4 hours now and won’t stop. This morning it just started with head twitches which has now turned into spinning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He doesn’t seem to be in any pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is your dog's name and age?

Tito. He is about 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tito?

He has a history of past seizures but hasn’t had one in probably 2 or 3 months. The past seizures were caused by hypoglycemia

3/18/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Tito. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, I want to let you know this is a medical emergency. Tito needs to go to an emergency center as quickly as possible. In case this is from hypoglycemia, you can give a little sugar by mouth to see if this helps.
I'm really worried about him, though.

What is your question for me today, please?

What is the cause for something like this?

Most of the time I would say it's due to ingesting something that's poisonous or toxic, especially some types of drugs.

In your situation, with Tito's history of prior seizures, I'm worried it's related to that. He may have some sort of underlying liver disease or brain issue that's been at the heart of his seizures all along.

I'm so sorry to deliver such worrisome news...

We stayed in a hotel last night with him. He has been acting perfectly fine. He has been on seizure medication. The onset came on all of a sudden. Our first reaction was he found something in the hotel room he shouldn’t have eaten. Possibly medication of some kind.

But we have to accept that we're dealing with something highly unusual and potentially very serious here. Tito needs to be examined right away so that:

• medications to stop the circling can be given
  • the appropriate blood and urine tests can be done to determine the cause of the circling.

Then you'll know what can or needs to be done for it for a long term plan.

Yes, some types of medications can cause symptoms like this when swallowed by a puppy.
In Tito's case, however, it's already a special situation because we know he's prone to seizures as it is. This is another symptom along with the previous seizures that may be adding up to something serious.

Thank you. We will try to get into our local animal hospital today.

If he were otherwise healthy, I'd say the odds are overwhelmingly likely that this is due to something he ate. In his case, we have more to worry about.

Either way, this warrants a trip to the ER.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

Good. I'm glad you have a plan. I'll be hopeful you get some relief and treatment soon.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website. Best of luck with Tito.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Tito.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo