Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate half of a chocolate covered entemans donut,

My dog ate half...

My dog ate half of a chocolate covered entemans donut

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Duncan, 1 Years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Duncan?

1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duncan?

There is no other issue with him

3/18/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Duncan.

​As you know, chocolate can be toxic to dogs; however, much depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate ingested and the type of chocolate (with some types being more problematic than others).

​Even if Duncan were a very small dog, there's not enough actual chocolate in 1/2 of a chocolate glazed donut to cause any toxicity issues for him. I suppose it's possible that he might develop looser stools in 12-24 hours although I'll be surprised if he does. But, if this should happen, a bland diet of chicken and rice should resolve the problem pretty quickly.

He'll be fine. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
​Take care, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian