Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our dog swallowed a baseball cover in almost one whole

Customer Question
Our dog swallowed a...

Our dog swallowed a baseball cover in almost one whole chunk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Winchester hes a 3 year old boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Winchester?

3 years

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
3/18/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I m sorry to hear that Winchester swallowed a baseball cover in almost one entire chunk.

If this is leather his gastrointestinal enzymes may break it down to smaller pieces so it may pass but if it is plastic that is more concerning. Either way since he just ate it, within the past couple of hours, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up.

You can give him 1 tablespoon of FRESH (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread or a small amount of dog food (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he weighs more than 35 pounds). Expired peroxide WILL NOT work, don't bother trying that.

Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the cover is present.

If the cover is present wait 10 to 15 minutes to be sure he is done vomiting and then to try and settle his stomach give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin or fresh cooked pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if he doesn’t vomit the cover to help push it through his intestinal tract.

If you don't have peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If he doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the cover to pass.

If he doesn't vomit the cover later signs to watch for that indicate trouble are if he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We gave the 2 doses of peroxide with bread and our dog still hasnt vomited

That happens sometimes, most dogs vomit with peroxide, but there are a few that do not.

If a sufficient amount (3 Tablespoons, given twice) of NOT expired peroxide was given it is unlikely giving more will help.

You have two options, one is to take him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting, the other is to feed him the bland diet with pumpkin and see if he can pass this on his own.

If he were my pup and this was a plastic cover I would take him in to have vomiting induced.

Sometimes we get lucky and the peroxide works with the motion of the car ride and they vomit on the way to the veterinarian. So make sure to have lots of towels or a blanket to cover the car surface in case he vomits in the car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This was a leather cocsr would you just use pimpkin to try and have him pass this?

It depends upon how big of a fellow he is. If he's a huge Boxer, 80-90 pounds then maybe. If he's your more typical 60-70 pounder I would probably take him in and induce vomiting.

It is much easier and cheaper to try to prevent an obstruction by inducing vomiting then to have to have surgery done later to remove one. I tend to try to avoid trouble if I can, and I am a worrier, so I would probably induce vomiting if given a choice.

Some dogs are lucky and pass all sorts of things. But if this gets stuck that would be very unfortunate.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian