My 5 month old German Shepard got into a 2lb bag of citrusgain fertilizer he did not ingest anywhere near the entire bag

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 5 month old German Shepard got into a 2lb bag of citrusgain fertilizer he did not ingest anywhere near the entire bag but I know he ate some should I induce vomiting?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lilmax 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilmax?
Customer: He did vomit after eating dinner and ate it back up again which is what got me to look and see he got into this fertilizer bag.
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 2 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Fertilizer is not toxic but it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and lack of appetite.

So no food into tomorrow morning to let his gastrointestinal tract rest.

He can have water as long as he keeps it down.

If he vomits up the water, pick up the water dish until he has not vomited for 2-3 hours. Then gradually introduce water with small sips.

For nausea he can take 10mg Pepcid AC. That is an over the counter stomach acid reducer.

1/4 tablet, per 15 pounds of dog, every 12 hours as needed.

Signs you need to go to the emergency vet are:

Abdominal bloating

Vomiting over and over and then dry heaving

Pale, purple, or grey gum color

Severe lethargy

Panting non-stop

Unable to get comfortable

Blood in the vomit or diarrhea.

bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice can be easier to digest if he has vomiting or diarrhea.

A bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice can be easier to digest than dog food.

Did all of that make sense to you?

Do you have any other questions?

If you are all set, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars or accepting the answer.

That lets me know how I did.

Many Thanks

Customer
Ok thank you. Do you have any Idea this will stay in his system? Very helpful yes it all makes sense.

Do you mean how long it will stay in his system? Usually 24 hours.

You are very welcome.

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Gabby
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.