Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate between 6-8 grapes. I am concern but she is

My dog ate between...

My dog ate between 6-8 grapes. I am concern but she is asymptomatic. I tried to induce vomiting but she didn’t do anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is a very healthy 16 pound Shih Tzu.

3/17/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It takes ~0.3 grapes per pound of body weight (5 grapes for her) before we consider the possibility of toxicity (kidney damage) but this toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar); in other words, most dogs can ingest grapes to their heart's content without harm. Symptoms of kidney failure arise 12-24 hours post-ingestion (vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness) if toxicity arises. You can try to induce emesis one more time with 15 mL (one measuring tablespoon) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster between her cheek teeth and cheek but if she's doesn't vomit once again, I would simply monitor her for those symptoms...which I believe are unlikely to arise. Inducing emesis is predicated upon her having ingested the grapes within the hour. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

my understanding is you don’t think it likely for her to be toxic from eating that small amount of grapes. Also can I give her Charco tablets to help with the resolving of the toxicity of the grapes.

Yes, that's correct. Activated charcoal dosed at 0.5 - 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is useful up to 12-24 hours after ingestion. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your help.

You're quite welcome. Each Charco capsule contains 260 mg (0.26 grams) of charcoal. You would need to give at least 8 grams to her - over 30 capsules! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.