Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I came home from work and my dogs third eyelid is showing.

Customer Question
I came home from...

I came home from work and my dogs third eyelid is showing. That has never happened before. Wondering what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Did you see my message above?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

His right eye - the third eyelid is showing

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your dog's name and age?

Rigby - year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rigby?

He seems to be acting fine but with the third eye lid showing it appears to be red but again he is acting ok

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/16/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

The first two pictures are too blurry. Is the last one effectively showing where the third eyelid is?

And are you seeing any rubbing of the face or eyes? Any squinting?

Thank you. So, this may be die to irritation of the eye. The cause will be difficult to determine at home so if this remains an issue I do think a veterinary visit would be wise. You can use cool compresses over the eye to help reduce irritation. If he's not on any medication, you can also give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours. This should help if there is an allergic factor. If the eye worsens, please see an ER vet overnight otherwise I would plan to see your vet tomorrow morning for diagnostics if the concern remains. They will likely want to stain the surface of the eye to determine if there is any irritation or injury to the surface of the eye and may also want to check under the third eyelid to be sure debris hasn't collected there keeping it from returning to its normal position. Do your best to keep him from rubbing. Use an e-collar, if needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? There's no extra charge to ask additional questions on the topic or update me on your companion's status.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy