Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an older Terrier and she’s recently started getting…

Hi! So I...

Hi! So I have an older ***** ***** Terrier and she’s recently started getting these spots and growths on her skin. There are 3 different spots that have concerned me. One of which I’ve had checked out at the vet and they said it was just a fatty deposit and as long as it didn’t change in growth drastically quickly it was fine. So the main one that concerns me is on her side. It is raised and pink in color and it almost looks spongy although it’s hard to the touch. It doesn’t appear to bother her. The other is directly on her anus and is black in color right under the base of her tail. At like 11:00. It’s black, doesn’t appear to be raised but she’s constantly licking her anus although she’s done that basically as long as I’ve had her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Yes, she’s also constantly licking her paws, which the vet told me was allergies so I give her Benadryl for that when it irittates her but recently the hair has started coming off of them and these big red spots have appeared. Please tell me this isn’t cancer. 😓

3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these growths to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment, please...

The one on her side is one of the sebaceous gland tumors - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epithelioma, or sebaceous adenoma. They're all benign and so observation without treatment is reasonable. Surgical excision (laser ablation or cryosurgery) is usually curative for cosmetically unacceptable lesions or for lesions that bother her or you.

The anal tumor is in shadow. Can you take another photo with better lighting, please?

The paw changes appear to be hypertrophic (overgrowth of normal tissues) or granulomatous (a form of inflammation) due to excessive licking and biting at the areas. Rather than an antihistamine, either oclacitinib (Apoquel) or IL-31 (Cytopoint) should be considered when addressing the underlying allergy likely to be present. Your vet can prescribe either.

Excellent. I see only benign pigmentation suggestive of lentigo (a type of "freckle") or perhaps post-inflammatory. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! That all definitely puts my mind at ease. This was awesome!!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sweet! Will do. ����

I appreciate it!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian