Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Mites in both ears -I am trying all kinds of concussions but…

Mites in both ears...

Mites in both ears -I am trying all kinds of concussions but they are multiplying .He is a big Rott and not easy to clean his ears-what med.would be effective,thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

I know what it is -Dog Ear Mites-i do not know if there is any med.that is effective to get rid of it .

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No -sweet and healthy-has this mights since we got him at 8 w and now he is 2 y old.

3/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Will you share a few pictures of what you're seeing in the ear canals? Can you describe what symptoms you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a human doctor and I asked a strait question - I had seen Vet , Reaserch the natural , I am cleaning dog’s ears - is there medication that will eliminate ear mites ?

The reason I have asked for you to share pictures is so that I can see what you are seeing to determine if there are any additional steps that need to be taken here. It's not uncommon for dogs to develop ear infections along side mites. As is also the case in human medicine, is it possible to treat a problem that exists and still have other symptoms remain if the full condition is not considered. So, to answer your question, yes. Mites are typically easily eliminated from the ears of dogs, though this is seldom a concern for adult dogs who aren't around other animals that have ear mites. Check and consider medicating other animals in the environment, especially cats, who might be transmitting the ear mites. In your situation, I would do the following:

Treat using a miticide medication like this: https://www.1800petmeds.com/Otomite+Plus-prod11309.html and then use a preventive medication, as well, such as https://www.1800petmeds.com/Revolution-prod10265.html. Resolution of symptoms typically occurs within a few days. If the symptoms persist, you may well (as mentioned above) have treated one aspect of a more complex problem. I would then arrange a vet visit to have an ear cytology performed and check the ears with an otoscope to rule out the potential of foreign material in the inner ear canal.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Phone call session started
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse