Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I’m a little concerned about my fur baby. Earlier my

Customer Question
Hi! I’m a little...

Hi! I’m a little concerned about my fur baby Harold. Earlier my babysitter opened the door to the house to come in and my son grabbed his collar so he wouldn’t run out. Since then he has been coughing a lot. This isn’t something normal for him and it started right after the incident. Once I get Harold calm, he can stop coughing but it seems to take quite a bit to get him calm. He only wears the collar for his ID and he also has whistle in case he does get out. If we are walking him he wears a harness. I just really worry about him getting out without us because we live in an area with a lot of coyotes and wolves. Harold has eaten dinner fine. When he starts coughing I try to get him to drink but he won’t. It’s hard to keep him calm though because he is only 1 and loves to run and bark at any noises he hears (if someone comes to the door) and also because we have a big dog he loves to chase and play with. When I just went to take them out Harold started chasing our big dog and trying to play again. So he started coughing again. It’s almost like a cough where he’s trying to get a fur ball up but nothing comes up. It sounds a little ‘honky’ like collapsible trachea (I had a small Pomeranian for over 13 years who had this). But he’s never really had it before this incident. I am just concerned he might have some damage. Should I bring him to the emergency vet right away or just monitor him? He is currently relaxing on the couch not coughing. I know it is tough to say without doing an exam but is it possible he would have damage? If so is this something that would heal over time or require surgery? Obviously I adore my little guy and will do whatever necessary to take care of him but I also don’t want to be over paranoid. Thanks so much! Amy and Harold

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Thanks so much! I don’t think there is anything else. He’s never stayed in a kennel or been around other dogs besides our large dog since we have gotten him (around 8 months ago).

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/16/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

It does seem less frequent. As long as I keep him relaxing. As soon as he starts to run around and chase our big boy Bubba it starts again but it also seems easier to get him to calm down and stop cauging. ❤️

Thank you for the additional info.

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E