Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We have a 9 + week old German Shepherd puppy, from breeder…

We have a 9...

We have a 9 + week old German Shepherd puppy, from breeder and has had her 1st round of shots. We changed her food 2 days ago and she did great but today she has vomited and now has some dry heaves. Very active drinks some water but did not eat dinner tonight. We haven't seen a Vet yet was waiting until next week. When should we get concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

My son said she did turn around and mess with her poop and when he got to her she may have had some in mouth. That is when all this began.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She did have a few new treats today (puppy treats for potty training may have had too many)?

3/16/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Is your pup sill vomiting?

Has the pup eaten any non food items such as bones, rawhides, toys, clothing etc?

Does the pup eat any human food and if so what?

Has there been any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No human food or anything else such as bones etc. eating well this am no vomiting and had a normal poop. We are going to cut out puppy treats for now. Any other suggestions

Thank you. I am glad the pup is feeling better. Sometimes when we change food suddenly it can cause stomach upset ,vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite. This may have been due to the food change

However given the dog's young age, even with shots, a dog can get parvo so if it continues or gets worse then I would see your Vet a bit sooner.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much ��

You are very welcome. If it seems to be the food then what you can do is fast her for 24 hours and start a bland diet of boiled rice and chicken, then the next day start adding the food to that. The fasting will help give the intestines the time they need to calm and become less inflamed and the bland diet is soothing on the belly:)

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant