Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been diagnosed with eimeria oocysts through a…

My dog has been...

My dog has been diagnosed with eimeria oocysts through a stool sample. Both of my dogs, when they go outside to potty, started a strange habit a couple of weeks ago. Instead of focusing on going potty, they scour the ground with their noses. Then, I see them eating something, but I can't see what it is. One of my dogs started having diarrhea and soft stools, along with occasional vomiting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

The vet told me they are probably eating squirrel or bird poop. I have two large trees in my back yard, and they especially scan the ground under the trees. He told me they don't need to go on antibiotics, but to keep them on a bland diet along with daily probiotics. Even though our grass hasn't yet started growing from winter, I got out my lawn mower and mowed the back yard, where they go potty. My lawn mower sucks in a lot of things, so I wanted it to suck up the squirrel and/or bird poop. After mowing, I let them out and they scoured the ground, as usual, but they didn't seem to be eating as many things. So, the mower did a good job, but I want to mow it again as soon as possible to try and get more of it up. During the summer, I mow regularly and I think it is harder to find the poop among the dense grass. Looking forward, my dogs have this gross habit now, and they do this every time I let them out. I don't know how to keep them from eating infected poop in the future. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Mishka, the one with the symptoms, just turned 8 months old. Bella, who eats the poop also, hasn't been showing symptoms and she is 16 months old. But I am treating her in the same manner as Mishka, who shows symptoms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mishka is the one with the symptoms. Bella is the one who is not showing symptoms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, he has been my dogs' vet ever since I got them from different breeders. They both had giardia in October and were treated with antibiotics. This recent stool sample did not show any giardia, so they are over it!l

3/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, Irene. Is your primary concern here how to avoid stool consumption?

Perfect. Give me a few moments to type a response for you.

Perhaps one of the most effective ways to avoid stool consumption is to use a muzzle when the dogs go outside. With some training, you can slip these over the muzzle and prevent them from ingesting anything on the ground while they are outdoors.

I can also recommend using a vibration collar with a remote. I have a dog, like yours, who seems to think it's more interesting to scour the ground than focus on pottying. You can use the vibration and verbal correction to redirect their efforts. Essentially, they'd go out with the collar on. You'd give them a quick buzz if they begin scouring and give them a command "GO POTTY!". This works like magic for my own dog who quickly runs over to the potty patch, does his business and returns to the porch to come inside. This is the collar I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Training-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Vibration-Electric/dp/B076VFYBZ7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521211791&sr=8-3&keywords=vibration+collar+with+remote You could also use the beep option on the collar to correct, though I've found vibration to be plenty useful. It's not harmful to the dog and seems to give them a nice reminder that they're outside to potty and not seek out tasty morsels left in the grass.

Another option is to begin leash walking them individually.

You might also look in to having pea gravel or sand put down in a certain part of your yard and training them to use only this area for pottying where it will be easy for you too see stool. You can use a sifter (intended for sifting flour) to remove stool from other animals should it wind up there.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? There's no extra charge to ask additional questions on the topic or update me on your companion's status.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hi Irene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse