Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I live in Las Vegas NV and I am wondering if it is legal to…

Hi. I live in Las...
Hi. I live in Las Vegas NV and I am wondering if it is legal to keep an animal outside in a cage? A man has been parked at my workplace since monday with a large truck. In the truckbed he has a cage where he is keeping a dog. He seems to be homeless or otherwise living in the truck for most of the day, as I see him here for at least 5 hours per day. Is keeping the dog locked in a cage outside in a truck legal? I am worried for the dog because it's so cold out but it is also in direct sunlight all day, and it is a large dog breed and the cage is not really big enough for it to do anything but sit or lay down in it. Should I call animal control or is this legal?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Also I apologize if this question is in the wrong place, I know it is a legal question but I thought that animal experts would have more knowledge on the topic!

Not a problem. This borders right between legality and ethics, so I understand your concern.

It would be wise to contact animal control to be certain that this man does not need supportive care for his dog if he is legitimately homeless or has no other place to keep his dog. Animal control will also be the people to intervene if the containment method is not legal in the area. Resources do exist for ensuring that a pet is properly cared for if they are displaced due to loss of an owner's home. Here is the Las Vegas animal control portal: https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/portal/faces/wcnav_externalId/ps-animal-control?_afrLoop=917922955354109&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null#%40%3F_afrWindowId%3Dnull%26_afrLoop%3D917922955354109%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D6aqa8vqvz_4 and more info on requesting a wellness check for the dog.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you! I contacted the animal control on that link and they informed that it is not illegal, so I am going to go find him and ask him about the dog in person. Hopefully if he cannot care for it he can give it to someone who can.