Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Im thinking about adopting another dog, but he has slight…

Im thinking about adopting another...
Im thinking about adopting another dog, but he has slight vision problems. We're gonna go see a vet, prior to the adoption of course, but im wondering if you could shine a little bit of light generally speaking on vision problems with chihiahuas if theres any common issues. We think he may just be partially blind because he does great overall. I just dont wanna overlook anything.
3/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hello again, Joseph. Happy to assist you this afternoon.

Can you tell me more about the history of the chihuahua? Has the vet who performed preventive care on the dog mentioned any known cause for the blindness, such as injury to the eyes or an underlying illness? Are you adopting from a rescue organization or private entity?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A rescue organization. Theyre gonna try to get him to the vet tomorrow, I just wanted to have a little knowkedge prior to going to meet him ya know? They dont know much yet other than whoever he came from told em that its a permanent non progressive thing.

I would inquire with the rescue organization (or vet, depending on who you've had a chance to speak with) on the following topics:

1) Has bloodwork been performed to rule out the potential of underlying conditions which might be causing vision issues, such as diabetes?

2) Has an ophthalmologist visit been performed or planned to determine what is causing the affliction and how it can be addressed, if at all.

3) Has any known trauma occurred to the eyes?

As a rule, rescue organizations ask for any past medical information on the pet so that they don't have to repeat the services that have already been provided. If they don't have this available, they should follow up with getting a proper diagnosis from a qualified individual to be 100% sure that the affliction is, as you said, a permanent non progressive thing. As a rescue entity, it's our job to ensure that the new owner knows as much as the health of the animal as possible BEFORE adoption occurs.

Chihuahuas often do suffer eye problems but the cause can widely range. Of course, smaller breed dogs that sit close to the ground are prone to injuring themselves while running or due to debris blowing in to the face from ground-level. As they age (typically over 8-10 years of age), diabetes becomes more common. PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) is also common in the breed. You can learn more here: http://animaleyecare.net/diseases/pra/ If the cause is not determined with a veterinary visit and they will not or do not have the option to see a veterinary ophthalmologist, it may be worthy of your time to try to see one before adoption is finalized or once adoption has occurred to get a final say-so on what has caused his slight vision issues now and what to expect for the future (if it will stay the same or worsen progressively with time to result in blindness).

As a note for the future, many smaller breed dogs do very well with progressive loss of vision and even blindness. Owners who leave their home in a predictable manner, without moving furniture, make it easy for a dog to learn the layout of the home and navigate without problems. Another consideration for the future, if it's needed, would be a halo harness to help prevent him from running in to things if his vision is that poor or becomes that poor: http://halosforpaws.com.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
aparently he was left in a pen in the corner of the yard for like 4 years IN FRESNO. Which gets HOTTTTTT. Like well over 100 hot. Could that cause the damage?

Yes, it certainly could. This could have resulted in hyperthermia/heat stroke which can cause cortical blindness. He might have other underlying problems, as well, such as brain damage, as well. This doesn't mean he won't live a full life, of course, and it looks like he's a cuddler so he's probably a very happy lad!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said they didnt even notice until they went down some stairs and he kinda hadta feel for em. But he plays with other dogs and is very aware of everything so hes not completely blind. If the heat was hypothetically the cause and what damaged his eyes, does that mean that they will stay in their current condition vs getting worse?

Excellent, so it sounds like this really is mild. Hopefully if this is truly cortical blindness then it's non-progressive and his efforts won't be hindered at all. He seems like a very sweet boy. This condition may improve with time (usually soon after the onset) or may stay that way the dog's entire life. Progressive loss of vision can occur over time, but it may not be due to cortical issues. I think it's safe to say that he had a case of heat stroke a few months to years ago, it's likely as bad as it's going to get for the time being and may be slow progressing if it progresses at all. I do think an ophthalmological visit would be wise to be 100% sure there's nothing else going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there any signs that a vet can detect as far as cortical blindness goes?

The internal structures of the eye itself usually appear normal with cortical blindness. Now, if they don't appear normal, this may indicate another affliction being present.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would cortical blindness cause kind of a simular cloudy look like cataracts do?

The eye typically looks normal, though I have seen some dogs immediately following heat stroke (who do suffer cortical blindness) that develop eye ulcers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok last question, promise. Lol. What would an eye ulcer look like? And how is it treated?

Eye ulcers are usually easy to detect IF they are visible (some are hard to see or even invisible to the naked eye). They appear to be an abnormal texture to the surface of the eye when they are obvious. Like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wvk7wvWr65w/SlgYDp9i-gI/AAAAAAAAABE/6v7HkS8_4ic/s320/Corneal+ulcer+3.JPG Treatment depends greatly on the cause and severity. Minor ulcers may be treated with antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and pain medications. More severe ulcers may require removal of the eye.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok just so im clear, if i meet him and he has cloudyness its not cortical blindness.

No, unfortunately, this is why I am recommending an ophthalmological visit. More than one condition can exist.

If he were to have ONLY 1 condition and his eyes appeared normal by appearance, this could be cortical blindness. I cannot tell you without a qualified individual looking at the internal structures of the eye that he doesn't have CB or even a combination of CB along with other conditions like PRA (mentioned above). Externally appearances can be misleading. There's no way to be 100% sure just looking at the eye.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Understood 100%
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As always youve been incredibly helpful. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU

Certainly. Happy to assist. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She said theres grey where his pupils are...

This may indicate internal structural concerns. It would be rather rare, though it could happen, that ulcerations appeared in the same spot on both eyes and for a prolonged period of time without worsening. He looks pretty comfy on the pics you shared, so I would say these are unlikely to be ulcers (usually painful). Definitely worthy of an eye eval.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She said more like the pic of the ulcer but grey? Gonna take him to an opthomologist though. Just curious what you feel about that.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Youre AWESOME. I REALLLLLLLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP��������

I feel pretty confident in saying these aren't ulcers, but seeing them in person would really help in knowing. Since they usually cause pawing at the face, pain, squinting of the eyes, etc. I don't think this is what's going on, at least that's my gut feeling. Animals have proven me wrong before in those "best guess" scenarios! lol.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it could still be some type of progressive condition?

It could.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes lookin for an opthomologist in the area as we speak.

If you'll share your city and state, I'll check too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im in san francisco ca
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shes in redwood city ca
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
anywhere in between ideallly

Give me a few moments here to see what I can find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you SO MUCH

You guys live in an area with LOTS of options, so hopefully one of these above will work out for the new kiddo.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Really appreciate it. Ill let you know how things go for sure.

You're very welcome. I hope there's good news and the adoption works out for all parties.

Hi Joseph,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse