Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

What do you think of listerene and baby oil & water sprayed…

what do you think of...
what do you think of listerene and baby oil & water sprayed on to pet for treatment of mange? I tried it because it soothed her skin as well. everyone has recommended the Borax & Hydrogen peroxide treatment and saying it really works
3/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There are a lot of anecdotal treatments out there that people boast to be effective. This could be an outright fallacy or the pet may well have improved due to strengthening of the immune system and resolution of symptoms. Quite a few of these treatments cause other medical problems (such as the vomiting you mentioned). I've worked very closely with pit bulls in the course of my career and have found two treatments to be effective for demodex for the vast majority: For small, localized spots one can use goodwinol ointment. The other is a daily ivermectin solution given until the fur grows back in and symptoms are fully resolved. Here's an example of a treatment sheet with ivermectin: http://www.hungarovet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ivermectin.pdf One does need to approach this cautiously as giving too much ivermectin at any one time can be disastrous and, in the worst of cases, life threatening. Slow and steady wins the race with demodectic mange treatment.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse