Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

10 week old rough collie puppy has bad diarrhea- been up…

10 week old rough...

10 week old rough collie puppy has bad diarrhea- been up every hour or so - pooped in crate 3 times - I know Collies are sensitive to Imodium- what can I give him? I have recently switched food but I went slowly. Thanks -

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Finnegan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finnegan?

He had a flea pill and heart worm pill on Monday

3/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did the diarrhea begin?

Have the flea and heartworm pills been given before?

Any vomiting?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

I feed him boiled rice and chicken last night it started yesterday morning

Any vomiting?

No vomiting

Can you answer the other two questions posted above, as well?

We switched him gradually to new food over a week or so

And have the flea and heartworm pills been given before?

No, he has been playing with an old toy, but he puts everything in his mouth - what can I give him to stop the diahrea that collies can handle - they can’t take Imodium

Some collies can take imodium, but without having already tested your companion for MDR1, I would not risk it. I'd also recommend that you double check the flea and heart worm pill to ensure that ivermectin is not present at this can also cause problems for dogs that have the mutant MDR1 gene. If the flea and heart worm pills are new, this could also be the problem. If the steps below do not help or he worsens (vomiting, blood in the stool, etc) I would recommend that he see your vet for an examination and antibiotic therapy. At 10 weeks of age, there is also risk of conditions like parvo, distemper, etc. even if he's started his puppy boosters.

I would recommend moving him over to a bland diet full time until the diarrhea has cleared. You'll want to feed only this and then follow the instructions below on switching to the new diet effectively. I would also give strong consideration to adding a probiotic such as FortiFlora for dogs, the link is below.

To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Aim for 1/2 chicken and 1/2 rice. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Fortiflora to help balance the fora in the gut, as well: https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets/dp/50000

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse