Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Took my dog to vet Sat. For annual checkup. Vet found

enlarged glands throughout her body...
Took my dog to vet Sat. For annual checkup. Vet found enlarged glands throughout her body. Suggested many tests. Took dog home and she could not even stand up. She seemed ok that am. She ate, drank and was her usual sweet self. By Monday am 48 hours later she died. Vet said she had lymphoma. How could this be? I marveling from shock 48 hours and she was gone. Please tell me how this could happen so fast. Broken heartec.
3/15/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** I’m very sorry to hear about your loss of your girl. Lymphoma is the number one rule out for all the lymph nodes to be enlarged. It wouldn’t be the typical progression to fast though. When they typically pass from lymphoma, they go through a drawn out period of not eating and doing well. Could this period have already happened? All the lymph nodes being enlarged could be due to a systemic infection. That could cause them to get sick very quickly and pass. The only way to know the difference would have been with further testing.
X rays showed enlarged spleen and a mess in chest. She had 2 seizures night before she passed. She had also lost 2 1/2 lbs. She was a 10yr old maltese/poodle. Her breathing had been labored.
I did all the tests that day. But, she passed even b4 some of the results were in.
Ok. With that information about the enlarged spleen, the mass in the chest and the seizures the night before - then the lymphoma seems to be most suspect. If it was the cause, she was very progressed with the disease and options for treatment were not going to be good. I know it isn’t easy to lose her, but she’s at peace now.
Thank you. She hid it from me well. She must have been sick for awhile.
WIth the weight loss, that shows she was hiding it well. They can do that. Take some comfort knowing she’s at peace now.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Fyi - She was a bit chubby and we had changed her food so when she lost weight she really looked good and thought it was from new diet. Clearly, it wasn't.
That is sometimes the frustration - the diet change to help with weight loss gets credit for the underlying issue. The situation is a hard one to pick up in that case.