Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Daschund is almost 18 and sometimes breathes like he just…

Daschund is almost 18...

Daschund is almost 18 and sometimes breathes like he just ran around a few blocks, and when he sleeps has awheezy snore

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Copper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Copper?

He's just about 18, overall good health. Just had checkup and shots gets said good for an oldie

3/15/2018
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

How long have you noticed these breathing issues? Any coughing or gagging? Appetite normal?

For the past couple weeks,and yes gagging which seems sometimes on nothing. He,is eating well. Water and dry in his bowls all day. But then gets little wet and dry for lunch time and dinner time. Then few snacks in nite time

WHen was his vet checkup?

Just at vet 2 weeks ago

Ah-ha!

Sounds like your dog picked up kennel cough while at the vet. This is not uncommon, especially in older dogs, even when vaccinated for it.

14lbs, anal sax cleaned nails trimmed and the shots

I would call your vet and say that you suspect kennel cough and get back in there for some antibiotics and cough suppressants.

It's like when an old person goes to the hospital for hip replacement and comes home with pneumonia... lots of germs in vet clinics.

Geesh. Will do thanks for your help

You can give 1/2 teaspoon of Robitussin DM every 6 hours until you can get in to see your vet for antibiotics. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Great job,
Thank you
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

You are most welcome! Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of the page so that I will receive compensation for assisting you today... bonuses/tips are appreciated. Good luck, and have a great rest of the day.

Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian