Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 12 week old pomsky is constantly itching and i can see…

My 12 week old pomsky...
My 12 week old pomsky is constantly itching and i can see white flakes on her fur. We use an organic oatmeal shampoo on her and have been spraying her with ecospot to ward off hotspots. We originally sprayed her with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water with 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil but it made her vomit. What can I use to her dandruff and make her feel better?
3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Page. At 12 weeks of age, she really shouldn't need this much preventive care for avoiding hotspots. Can you share pictures of the flakes you're seeing? Is she experiencing any fur loss? Is she on any oral medications right now? When was flea prevention last used? Where is she scratching primarily?

She is itching so much that the fur looks a little thinner but not major loss. We havent used a flea treatment yet and is not on any oral medications except ive given her half of a benadryl ( 12 mg). She is scratching primarily on the shoulders and front leg. My phone’s camera isnt going to capture the flakes very well ( and they are not wide spread) but ive sent a pic of the areas anyway. Thanks!

If you begin noticing any patchiness, she needs to go in for a skin scrape. This will ensue that her itchiness isn't due to mange. With her scratching and with spring upon us, flea prevention needs to be started immediately. The steps you've mentioned above aren't going to prevent fleas or secondary flea allergy dermatitis. Consider using:

Topicals: frontline, advantage, advantix, revolution
Oral tablets: bravecto, nexgard, trifexis, comfortis
Collar: seresto

If she will be bathed often, an oral tablet would be most ideal. I would bathe no more frequently than 2x monthly. The more frequently you bathe her the higher the risk will be that you'll draw out the moisture in her coat and cause itching vs. prevent it. You can begin giving fish oil caplets or oil on her food to help condition her skin from the inside out, as well. Start small and work your way up as oils like this can cause diarrhea if too much is given. You should also consider using a pet-safe conditioner along with the shampoo. Benadryl can be given but should be given at a dosage of 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. If this is not given often enough, symptoms won't improve. Zyrtec also tends to be more effective in dogs than benadryl so try this one next if the benadryl doesn't help. Dosing info here: https://dogappy.com/antihistamine-for-dogs

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Is olive oil ok to put on her food? Will start flea treatment asap. She has had trouble potty training and has frequently urinated in her kennel so she has had many baths since we have gotten her. Can I use some argan oil ( or something else) to soothe her dry skin? Will try zyrtec instead.

Olive oil is fine, as well, but fish oil is what we typically use for skin conditions. Argan oil can also be used. You may want to add a few drops to the shampoo, as well, to help counteract the drying effects.

What kind of fish oil? I have a bottle of nordic naturals pro epa xtra 1000 mg. Can i use that? And you just pour that over her food?

I recommend salmon oil. You can use the nordic naturals but, as mentioned above, start small and work your way up. You'll want to puncture the capsules and use the liquid only. If you see any vomiting, go with a different product. The lemon flavoring may cause nausea.

Checking in, Page. How is Miss Izzy doing today?

Saw the vet this morning. Its very dry skin so he gave her a shampoo with topical steroid in it to be used very infrequently but should stop the itching now. Thanks for your help!

Sure thing!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Hi Page,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy