Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think she is 62 days pregnant or having a phantom

I think she is...

I think she is 62 days pregnant or having a phantom pregnancy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her rectal temp is 99.5 I took her to the vet today they did an xray and the vet said there were no puppies, but I don't trust the vet I saw today.

3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share the x-rays taken?

Sophie is a 4 year old chihuahua terrier mix. She tied with a Chihuahua 4 times between 1/11/18 and 1/13/18. Her current rectal temp is 99.5. She hasn't shown any signs of pregnancy until about the last week. But after taking her to local vet (who I don't trust after meeting her today) they did an xray and said there were no puppies. She has milk in her tits. The lowered past temperature. The vet did say there was noticeable mamory swelling as there should be with milk coming in.

Can you share the x-rays taken?

Phone number is *************

Are you receiving my replies? Can you share the x-rays taken?

I did not receive copies of the xray's

If these were digital x-rays, your vet should be able to send a copy over via email. I can discuss online right now but cannot offer a call.

Fecal skulls should be visible at 45 days of pregnancy. If they noted no puppies on the x-rays she's likely experiencing a false pregnancy. The body can go through all the normal changes associated with pregnancy but without actually producing young. Is there any reason that you feel uncomfortable with the vet's diagnosis? It sounds like they've shared accurate information if no young were visible on the x-rays.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Phone call session started
I don't feel comfortable with the vet, she was mumbling, never even took my dogs temperature. And everything I've read said if it is in fact a phantom pregnancy with her having milk she would need medicine to dry up the milk or it could cause mastitis

Mastitis can occur regardless of whether or not medication is given. Milk will begin to dry up within a few days of production if her mammaries are not stimulated, as well. This will include grooming of the mammaries and also self-nursing (which is not a common symptom but one to mention). I would recommend placing an ace bandage wrap, vet wrap or sweater over the trunk of her body. Most bitches do fine without being given medication to speed the cessation of milk production. If you are insistent that she be given one, talk to your vet about Sandox. It'd be wise to consider having her spayed, as well, within 4-6 weeks of the end of her symptoms. Her being intact increases the risk of an infected uterus (known as pyometra) which can be a life-threatening.