Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog started having light contractions 2 days ago. And…

Hi my dog started...

Hi my dog started having light contractions 2 days ago. And about 2 hrs ago she’s been trembling, looking at her hind quarters and pushing. And then falls asleep. She has not delivered her first puppy yet and I am very confused about her symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Ember, she’s a 2 yr old Dalmatian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ember?

Everything else seems normal

3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thank you

Is this Ember's first litter?

What breed of dog was she bred with?

Do you know how many days along she is?

Has she had any diagnostic care thus far, such as x-rays to know how many pups to expect?

How frequently is she pushing?

I have two Dalmatians she bred with my male. As far as I know she’s had one before around 8 months old through her previous owner. She hasn’t had any X-rays yet I had pegged her around 51 days today, but I’m starting to believe they locked in before then just we’re caught later. She is having all the last week symptoms and a lot of movement in the belly
I would say she is pushing every 30 minutes to an hour. She keeps falling asleep

If she goes over an hour of strong contractions without delivery, I would urge you to have her examined. It sounds like she may have been experiencing pre-mature contractions a few days ago (similar to Braxton-Hicks contractions in humans) but if she's actively pushing now her labor has begun. If she does not produce puppies within an hour of hard labor starting she needs to see your vet. The potential does exist for her to be a dystocia and need assistance with delivery either pharmacologically or surgically. It would be more ideal to have her examined early on and simply be observed than to need help and not have it available. If you need help finding a vet in your area that can see her today, please let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

We have a vet down the street about 3 min away. And the closest emergency facility is over an hour. But they are branches of the same facility. Just the one close by doesn’t open for 2 1/2 more hours.
The pushing and contractions are just as far apart. Does that count as hard labor?

She's actively in labor if she's pushing, that's correct.

Ok. So when she tries to fall asleep should I wake her and walk her? She started 2 hours ago but she’s not pushing very hard and seems more interested in sleeping then pushing

No, permit her to rest. Labor is likely going to be long for a dog her size and she'll need all the energy she can muster in delivering and caring for her young.

Ok ��thank you

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy