Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 6 month old puppy drank about 7 mL of Nyquil. Do I need…

My 6 month old...

My 6 month old puppy drank about 7 mL of Nyquil. Do I need to be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

Nothing seems wrong. He's just sleeping right now. But will this have any effect on his organs or nervous system?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

He's a 6 month old Great Pyrenees and St Bernard mix. He weighs about 60 lbs

3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you link me to the exact product that was consumed?

How long ago did this occur?

It happened about 30 minutes ago. And it was N yquil, regular old cold/flu medicine

NyQuil comes in about 10 different varieties with different medications in each. It will help me greatly if you'll link me to the exact product so my response is detailed to precisely what's been consumed.

https://vicks.com/en-us/shop-products/nyquil/alcohol-free-liquid-medicine this is what it was

Excellent. Give me a few moments to take a look.

I'm glad I asked, because this is not the one I had pulled up and it does contain other medications. The following is included in each 30mL dose. So, your companion has taken a dosage of all three medications that are well within the safe range for a 60# ***** There's also no xylitol in this product so we needn't worry about secondary organ damage.

Acetaminophen 650 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)

Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg (Antihistamine)

Dextromethorphan HBr 30 mg (Cough suppressant)

You are likely to see GI upset today, if you see any symptoms at all. At a higher dosage you might also see sleepiness, though I wouldn't expect it at this dosage.

If, by chance, GI symptoms do occur, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you so much for your time!