Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She ate dark chocolate covered milano cookies. Opal, she is…

She ate dark chocolate...

She ate dark chocolate covered milano cookies

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Opal, she is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Opal?

4 about

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Opal?

She is big. 85 pounds.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How many of these cookies did Opal eat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were gone for 3 hours. She ate 15 cookie around. It was a whole 5 ounce bag (142g)

Got it thanks, ***** ***** to do the toxicity calculation then I will quickly type up your answer ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Milano Slices salted pretzel

Thanks for that ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Opal very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, the chances are she will be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than she ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 85 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 25 ozs { More than one pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. And of course, Milano Slices Salted Pretzel is not 100% composed of chocolate in any case ...

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Opal's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok! Good! What a relief. Thank you very much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott