Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 5 wk old puppy and is on meds because he wasn’t…

Customer Question
I have a 5...

I have a 5 wk old puppy and is on meds because he wasn’t having ‘chewing fits” that’s what the vet called them.. and he was doing well since yesterday but right now he is in pain, his stomach was inflating and deflating, and he cannot walk, our vet just closed his office so we cannot get in communication with him and there aren’t any other vets around l

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes but there isn’t anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

He wasn’t doing much walking before but was able to keep balance and now he’s whimpering

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

His name is Knight

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/14/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please clarify "...because he wasn't having "chewing fits". Chewing fits are pathgonomonic (specifically indicative) of the neurologic form of canine distemper in which encephalitis is the cause of the fits. There's no specific therapy although a systemic antibiotic might be prescribed to address secondary bacterial infections and anticonvulsant therapy (e.g., levetiracetam, phenobarbital) might be prescribed for the fits (partial seizures). Regretfully, the development of central nervous system signs such as those fits is the most important negative prognostic factor. I have to leave my computer until morning. I promise to reply at that time if need be. I'm in the Pacific time zone.

I meant “was having chewing fits”. As of Sunday, he is no longer convulsing which is a good thing, however today he beame very weak and couldn’t stand up, he was also in pain because he was whimpering. As of a couple of hours ago he is calm, but still weak.

Thank you for the additional information. Whimpering may be due to the headache pain of an encephalitis. Weakness is a nonspecific sign but consistent with the neurlogic form of distemper which rarely goes away. Regretfully, you can expect more seizure activity. Please continue our conversation if you wish.