Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

12 year old chihuahua with no know medical issues and fully…

12 year old chihuahua...

12 year old chihuahua with no know medical issues and fully vaccinated started walking very slow with rail pointed down approximately 36 hours ago. Brought the dog to sit with me to see how she was feeling and she is consistently shivering. When playing with the other dog in the home this dog keeps yelping when normally she is very playful. Can confirm that dog didn’t have access to ingest poison.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Anayah 12

3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you witnessed any scooting behavior?

Any licking observed of any part of the body?

Is she on any medication at this time?

Any history of illness or injury?

I already answered these questions in my original question. Negative on all. I did notice her back left side is a bit warm to the touch.

1) To be absolutely clear that we've shared the same information, you have noticed no scooting behavior or licking either, correct? And she's on no medication at this time, right?

2) When you say her "left back side", is this her hip?

3) Does her anal tissue appear normal or at all swollen?

If you're unsure of what history I received on my end, this is what has come through. There's no mention one way or the other on licking, scooting or meds: "12 year old chihuahua with no know medical issues and fully vaccinated started walking very slow with rail pointed down approximately 36 hours ago. Brought the dog to sit with me to see how she was feeling and she is consistently shivering. When playing with the other dog in the home this dog keeps yelping when normally she is very playful. Can confirm that dog didn’t have access to ingest poison."

No scooting, and anal tissue is fine. Not hip, the top side towards her tail is warm to the touch and possibly a bit larger than the other side. She has never been on meds outside of flea and heart worm. She is normally very playful and is not right now.

At 12 years of age, there is a potential for her to be experiencing discomfort due to arthritis. Some owners can detect temperature changes in the skin for dogs who are suffering from inflammation in that area. If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about diagnostics like x-rays to confirm the presence of arthritis and then using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you.

You're very welcome. Good luck to you both!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse