Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is due in approx 5 days her temp has been from 99.4…

My dog is due in...
My dog is due in approx 5 days her temp has been from 99.4 to 99.9 over the last 3 days today she won't eat, she vomited, and is now being snippy , is it possible she's beginning labor
3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, JACustomer. Do you know how many days along she is?

57

We usually see dogs birth between 58 and 68 days. Is this her first litter?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

First litter nothing new to diet no access to garbage, she hasn't been out of my site. She is also being snippy with the other dogs when they pass by her whelping box
She is drinking small amounts of water but won't touch het food even if I offer her favorite treat

The potential does exist for this to be a beginning sign of labor. Typically dogs will begin labor within 24 hours of their temp dropping below 100 degrees. Since she's been 5 days below 100 degrees, she's not eating, she's vomiting and showing signs of impatience with other dogs I think it would be wise to have her examined to check on the status of the puppies and receive treatment for her vomiting. If her symptoms worsen as she progresses in to labor, the potential does exist for you to wind up having to raise all the young on your own around the clock until she's fully recovered from whatever is ailing her.

If you absolutely must address this from home, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.] Please note: famotidine is believed to be safe to be used in pregnant mothers with no adverse effects on the young. Famotidine also is excreted in the milk, but has not shown any significant concern for nursing young. Do keep in mind when using this medication that there is some risk involved, as with any medication one might give a pregnant or nursing mother.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

The lack of appetite, vomiting and snippiness began this morning

Were you able to see my response above? Did it come through?

ty

You're welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse