Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog accidentally Found and ate tomcat mouse killer 1

Customer Question
My dog accidentally Found...

My dog accidentally Found and ate tomcat mouse killer 1 block 1 oz, do I need to worry what will happen . Dog is golden Retriver wight about 65-70lbs please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Happened 3 hours ago.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/13/2018
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years..

Bromethalin is a Neurotoxin and affects the Nervous system in dogs and over time can kill your dog. If within the last hour we need to get the Rat poison up. Please give 1 teapsoon full of Hydragin Peroxide Per 10 pounds of body weight to the back of the throat after feeding the dog a piece of bread. Jostle the stomach and jog the dog around. This should induce vomiting. You an rpeat once. If you cannot get him vomiting, I suggest getting into the Vet for Decontamination and charcoal lavage.

Joan

This link has further information on this type of poison:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/rodenticide-poisoning/bromethalin

Joan

Thank you. Where can i get peroxide? Give all 7 tesp at once? I’m way from home now, would it be okay to give within 2-3 when I arrive? Can I also give him vitamin K I heard that can help?

This is not an Anticoagulant, so no Vitamin K1. You will need to get into the Vet for Charcoal one the dog has Vomited. You may just want to go to the Vet now and have them induce Vomiting and start the Charcoal lavage. Peroxide is 3% Hydogen Peroxide you use on cuts and scrapes. I really feel you would do better seeing the Vet now and having the dog treated since you will have to go in for the Charcoal lavge. Time is of the essance and you need to act quickly to get the dog treated.

Joan

Were you able to get the dog into the Vet for vomiting and a charcoal lavage? How is the dog doing?

Joan