Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has had a BG ear infection which we have been treating…

Hello. She has had...

Hello. She has had a BG ear infection which we have been treating daily for a week and now a bout of loose stool and terrible diarrhea this morning. Found a pill with leaves in it as well. Have been in house a year and while she chomps on some plants every once in a while it’s never done this and I don’t think anything we have is toxic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Usually we feed her a mix of cooked ground turkey, vegetables and brown rice but i’ll Admit I ran out of food and in a pinch gave her a can of processed dog food and a bowl of hamburger and veggie soup yesterday before I could get to the store. As far as which plant no, but I kept a sample in case she doesn’t get better and we need to take her to the vet today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

And thank you so much for being on this site! She’s lost a little weight recently but not at an alarming rate or anything. She’s much more active at this house with a yard

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, typing too fast *bad ear infection... *pill should be pile
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh and she is an almost 14 year old SHAR pei hound mix
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You there??
3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for answering. She has since had some water but also vomitted a few hours ago and has some more diarrhea. Been very clingy and trying to sleep since then. I offered her some canned pumpkin but she doesn’t want it.

I suspect that the symptoms have occurred due to the fact that she was given canned dog food, hamburger and veggie soup. Unfortunately, these type of rapid changes in a dog's diet are prone to causing problems. Since you've witnessed diarrhea and vomiting, the most prudent approach is going to be a vet visit with diagnostics and treatment.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I also want to warn you that while cooked ground turkey, vegetables and brown rice may feel like a healthful diet, without giving consideration to macro and micronutrients in the diet that we can harm a dog more than help them with home cooking. I would strongly recommend that you visit http://www.balanceit.com to discuss with a nutritionist the nutritional needs of your companion to be sure that no nutritional deficiencies develop from a home-cooked diet.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I actually use the recipe from balance it so i imagine the change in food is the culprit too. She’s been so non reactive to food changes in the past I didn’t expect this reaction but the older she gets maybe change such as that was too much for her. Appreciate your help

You're welcome. Good luck to you both!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse