Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog hasn't peed in a whole day. He was hit by a car and…

My dog hasn't peed in...
My dog hasn't peed in a whole day. He was hit by a car and fractured his pelvis. No surgery needed, just crate rest for a few weeks. I am worried that he hasn't pooped or peed since we brought him home about 28 hours ago. He is a small dog, 18lbs. He has drank about a cup or water and eaten a small container of Cesar's dog food. When I carry him outside to go potty, he just sits in the grass or lays down and stares at me like i'm nuts.He is on Gabapentin 100mg every 8 hours, Tramadol 25mg every 8 hours, and Deramaxx 12.5mg every 24 hours.
3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did pee, but unfortunately it was because we had an accident while carrying him outside. I must have jarred him somehow and he cried and peed on the floor. He still hasn't pooped yet and has now had 3 of those cesar's puppy meals.

It's not uncommon for dogs to hold it as long as they possibly can before both urinating and defecating following this type of injury. The more discomfort that he is in the more likely it's going to be that he is going to hold it. It's very possible, as well, that he evacuated his bowels and urinated at the time of being hit by car. It's wonderful that he's eating, but also be sure that he's drinking fluid regularly. It is likely going to be uncomfortable for him to get in to position both to urinate and defecate with a fracture to his pelvis so give him time and go slowly outdoors. Give him 15-30 minutes outside, if weather permits. I would try to take him out every 3-4 hours. So long as he's eating and drinking normally, he should urinate and defecate with time. I would schedule a recheck with his vet if he doesn't defecate in the next 24 hours. X-rays can be helpful in determining if he needs help with evacuation. As well, sometimes stool softeners can be helpful not only in getting a pet to go but in avoiding constipation and painful BMs if a pet is insistent on holding it for a long period of time due to discomfort from their injury.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I will definitely try giving him more time and going out more frequently. I think i will also schedule him an appointment for thursday or friday, to make sure things are going well.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse