Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's very lethargic. She doesn't want to stand up or walk.

She's very lethargic. She...

She's very lethargic. She doesn't want to stand up or walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Zoey, 1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?

She recently went through her first heat cycle

3/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is eating and drinking without issue, but she does not want to stand or walk. Her nipples are also quite enlarged.

How long ago was her heat cycle?

Was she bred or around any intact males?

Will she stand and walk on her own when placed into a standing position?

Is she dragging any of her limbs?

What breed is she?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Heat cycle ended about 3 weeks ago.She has not been bred or had access to active males.She will stand if I set her on her feet, and she can walk slowly.She's a golden retriever.

I am concerned by her symptoms. There are a wide range of ailments which can cause slow walking and profound lethargy. This can range from injury (such as overexertion while running) to pyometra (infected uterus) since she's unspayed and has recently had a heat cycle. The fact that she's eating and drinking well suggests this is unlikely to be a GI problem, though the potential does exist as retrievers tend to have strong appetites even when they feel unwell. Based on the fact that she's experiencing such symptoms, I do think it would be very wise to have her examined today. Diagnostics are probably going to be the most useful in determining the cause of her feeling unwell. I imagine your vet is going to want to start with bloodwork and x-rays, as well.

If you must observe from home, keep her food and water intake up. If additional symptoms develop at any time, message me back on this thread at no additional charge and we will keep conversing. I would avoid giving any medications at this time as it may mask her condition and keep us from being able to tell how she really feels. OTC pain medications, as well, can be toxic to dogs and should be avoided.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse