Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had puppies 4 weeks ago and I have noticed over the…

Hello my dog had...

Hello my dog had puppies 4 weeks ago and I have noticed over the last couple of days that her tears or red and swollen. She is also only let the puppies suck a few times a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Angel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?

She is 3 years old and this is her 2nd litter of pups. We had got her from a different owner that breed her. We do not breed her, it was an accidently pregengy. She had eight puppies and all are very healthy. Angel is a great pryensse

eatting
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/13/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I am worried that she has mastitis that is causing her pain, and that is why she is not letting the pups nurse as often. I would get her to the vet for an exam and temperature check. The vet may put her on some antibiotics that are safe for the pups and possibly pain medication. They will probably also recommend applying a warm compress to her teats to draw the infection to the surface.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian
Is that something normal that happens? She is prone to skin yeast infections. Does that have something to do with it? Is there anything I can do for here tonight. I did check her temp and it is normal...
Phone call session started