Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate organic fertilizer, Munger 4, No

My dog ate organic...

My dog ate organic fertilizer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Munger 4

3/12/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Feather meal. Steamed bone meal. Bat guano. Marinebird guano. Sulfate of potash from langbenite. Cottonseed meal. Sea kelp

How much does Munger weigh and can you give me an idea of how much was ingested. Both organic and inorganic fertilizers can cause gastrointestinal distress but the organic fertilizers can contain enough iron to cause iron toxicity in dogs and they predispose to pancreatitis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know how much she ate. 4 or 5 tbs. 55 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe a little more than 5 tbs

Thank you. That wouldn't be enough to intoxicate a dog of her size. How long ago did she ingest it and how is she currently acting, please?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much would she have to eat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She ate it maybe 10 min ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there ?

It's very subjective as it would be predicated upon the product. To be safe, I would induce emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I'm walking her right now. Seems ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very active
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Says on bag keep out of reach of children AND dogs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn't mean caps

Good to hear. You can simply monitor her at this time. I would have expected her to be symptomatic (inappetent, vomiting, diarrhea) if she had ingested enough to cause GI distress.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian