Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 4 months old mini Aussie ate most of a non edible

Hello, My 4 months old mini...
My 4 months old mini Aussie ate most of a non edible nylabone puppy chew toy and I’m concerned. He still very active and playful and did not vomit or pooped since the incident, but I don’t know what should I do. Should I starve him?
Thank you,
Vanessa
3/12/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Vanessa,

I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Karim.

How long ago did he eat the chew toy? Did he swallow it whole or chew it up, if you know?

About what size is the one he ate?

Thanks, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He ate an hour ago and he chewed it, I don't think he ate any big pieces. He just pooped and he has a little bite of diarrhea. But nothing out of the ordinary so far. He is very active and is actually wanting to eat, but I don't know if I should feed him.ç
It was a 4 inches chew bone and he ate almost all of it, except for a little piece that I was able to grab it.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information; please give me time to type back a response for you. Deb

Based on the information, you've provided, the pieces should pass through his gi tract with no significant issues....which is typically around 12-24 hours or thereabouts. If some pieces remain in his stomach (which sometimes happens), then it might take longer than this. Even though this toy isn't considered "edible", it's not toxic in case you were wondering. He might develop diarrhea if the pieces cause irritation as they're passing through; you might even see a small amount of blood but neither should worry you. The stools should firm up with a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice after a day or so which you might want to start feeding now if his stools are a little loose. Adding a probiotic such as Forti Flora (available at local pet/grain stores or online) is also something to consider.

I wouldn't withhold food but rather I'd give him an additional meal or add fiber such as whole wheat bread; I'd also exercise/play with him, both of which can help to increase transit time.

Even though you still have a window of opportunity to induce vomiting to retrieve what he swallowed, I don't think it's necessary that you do so but you could if you wanted. If you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle), I'd mix 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk him around and repeat the dose ONE TIME in 15 minutes if he hasn't vomited.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

There's a very, very slight risk that the pieces could cause an obstruction in which case symptoms which might be seen include vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Deb,Thank you for your fast answer. I would feed him now and watch closely to see any changes in apettite or mood. Could I give him oat flour or flaxseed meal instead of the bread? I don't have bread at home. Thank you. *****

Vanessa,

You're more than welcome.

A small amount of oat flour or flaxseed meal should be fine; a small amount of canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix) is also ok.

I think you plan sounds like a good one. I suspect he'll be just fine but at least you'll know what to expect if he's not.

Good luck with him, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian