Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 10yr old Duchess gave birth to a dead pup; took her to…

Our 10yr old Duchess...

Our 10yr old Duchess gave birth to a dead pup; took her to vet & X-ray shows 1 more pup inside. She’s not trying to push and is acting normal. Pup is most likely dead from what vet told us. She also had another pup that she delivered without us knowing that she ate. She threw it back up at the vet’s office. That’s how we found out she ate one. Question is will she be ok with having dead pup inside her? Will she just naturally absorb it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your vet's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Duchess

3/12/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Unfortunately, it can actually go several ways. There is a possibility that the uterus will absorb the puppy, but very, very unlikely with a full term fetus. More likely is that the decomposing puppy will set Duchess up for a nasty uterine infection. This can be life threatening, or at the very least, be expensive to treat & may result in permanent sterility. The last possibility is the body will decompose the fetus in a sterile manner, result in a mummy. This will probably also result in sterility.

A dead puppy may be expelled eventually, but I would first talk to your vet about using Oxytocin to stimulate uterine contractions & hopefully expel the fetus If not, I would recommend a C-section, as this will preserve the uterus if you plant to rebreed her ( or you can just have her spayed ).

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

In your best expert guess, would you think the pup has a chance of being alive? We are waiting to get vet appt for an ultrasound

It is impossible to guess, but if the placenta has not detached from the puppy then it may very well be alive. An ultrasound will definitely pickup a heart beat if it is there.

When she delivered her dead pup, it was stuck and I had to pull it off. Half the pup’s upper body & face was covered in a fluid like sac. Pup was not breathing when I saw her laying down with pup sticker. After I pulled out dead pup, there was a small gush of dark greenish smelly fluid. Is that the placenta?

The fluid like sac & the fluid were all part of the placental membranes, so this is normal. However, if the placenta detaches from the wall of the uterus, there is no longer fresh blood & oxygen going to the puppy & it dies. If that connection is still there for the remaining puppy, it could still make it out alive.

What would be the reasons why she’s not trying to actively push? She’s not having contractions and we never saw her actively go into labor. She literally was acting normal yesterday, laid down and halfway delivered her dead pup.

Unfortunately, we do not always know why things go wrong. There is a complex set of events that occur when puppies are ready to be born, hormonal signals & changes in blood pressure within the uterus that signal the uterus to begin contractions. If the puppies die prior to this process, for any reason, then those chemical signals never go out to the uterus to start contracting. And, the uterus is actually controlled by a specific type of muscle, & again sometimes the signal just does not work, or the muscle does not receive the signal, or the muscle does not have the strength to actively contract. It can be frustrating to try & figure out what happened, especially if you want to rebreed her in the future.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian