Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was hit by a car on Tuesday 6 days ago. It ripped…

Customer Question
My dog was hit...

My dog was hit by a car on Tuesday 6 days ago. It ripped away his skin from his muscle on his left side. There was a foot and a half laceration that the vet closed. She said it took 10 packs of sutures and there are also staples. 3 penrose drains were placed. He has been going back to the vet every day to get his dressing changed. They were going to pull the drains on Saturday but changed their mind because of swelling a drainage. Today he went back to the vet and they are leaving the drains in longer. Now he is swollen down both legs on the left side. Is this normal for more swelling to develop now 6 days after initial injury? He is eating, drinking, breathing and pooping fine. Drainage has continued and it’s serosangous

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

The bleeding is controlled but still bloody drainage

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Porter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Porter?

He’s a black Shepard/ lab mix 98lbs. And he has been laying on the side the injury is on. We can’t get him to lay on the other side

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
3/12/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Porter was hit by a car, but I'm glad to hear he seems to be healing well other than the leg swelling. This can happen due to obstruction of lymph ducts in the swollen area, especially if he is lying on the injured side. I would not worry about it for now. The most important thing right now is that he is pain and infection free. The swelling may come down as healing progresses, or your vet may recommend a course of oral steroids to bring it down.

Should we keep trying to get him to lay on the other side or just let him lay how he is comfortable? He is on two antibiotics and rimadyl and tramadol for pain

I would just let him lie however is comfortable. It sounds like the swelling is cosmetic only so not something to be overly concerned about.