Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My very calm dog has started shaking whenever she is inside…

Hi. My very calm...

Hi. My very calm dog has started shaking whenever she is inside our apartment. She wants to be outside, even when it's very cold. We are trying to figure out if there is something new making a noise that is bothering her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Zuzu, age 7.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zuzu?

We know she is bothered by sounds. She doesn't like a lot of the tones on our phones, so we have to pick ones that don't scare her. Other than that she's usually very calm and quiet.

3/12/2018
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It could be that a critter is inside the walls such as a mouse. Many mice come inside during the colder months. In addition, dogs can hear noises that are not able to be heard by us which may be the case here as well. Now there are a lot of expensive equipment that can detect noises inaudible to humans but that is not very feasible for a situation like this. An oscilloscope also detects noises not audible to humans. However, your best bet is a new app for smart phones that does the same thing. See one here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=radonsoft.net.rta&hl=en

That may help you find the noise that is bothering your dog. Hopefully if you can find the source you can eliminate it and calm your dog.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?