Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 9 year old Boston Terrier won’t eat and couldn’t poop…

My 9 year old...

My 9 year old Boston Terrier won’t eat and couldn’t poop yesterday. Threw up yellowish clear vomit. Not normal for him to be so inactive either.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Took him to a dog park so I don’t really know

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bubba and age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?

He is loosing some of his teeth

3/12/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now

Does Bubba eat any non food items such as bones, rawhides, toys, paper, etc?

When was the last bowel movement and was it normal?

When did he last eat?

Gave him a rib bone Friday night but he buried it. Last BM was normal Sat and he last ate Sat night. Drinking lots of water tho. Sleeping a lot but restless all day yesterday. He seemed more comfortable last night. He tries to poop but nothing comes out.

I would worry about the bone in case you notice that he stops eating, begins to vomit more, has diarrhea and lethargy a bit longer then there may be a blockage from the bone.

Sometimes these bones make them ill, depending on where it came from. What I might try for now is giving a little bit of pure canned pumpkin to help push things along, maybe a teaspoon or two.

For stomach upset you can give Pepcid AC and I will put a link below on dosing and information.

Try giving him a break from normal food for the day but just give the pumpkin AM and PM.

If there is no change in a day or two it would be wise to make an appointment with your vet.

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Thank you, ***** ***** try all of the above. I feel better knowing he had a more peaceful night than he did yesterday. I will continue to watch him and do as above answer.

You are welcome.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant