Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a piece of plastic from fake glasses lense on…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a piece of plastic from fake glasses lense on Friday night. He was normal in Saturday and Sunday with the difference he has no poop on Sunday. This morning he is just hiding and wants to bite me every time I get close to him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Guapo. 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Guapo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He passed a small piece on Saturday. After that he has not pooped. He is a 7lb Shorkie.
3/12/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Guapo seems to be in pain. My concern is that the plastic is the cause. The first concern is that it has caused a blockage in the gastrointestinal tract. Another worry is that it has actually perforated his gastrointestinal tract. Lastly, the plastic may have irritated his pancreas. Pancreatitis can be very painful. Is he eating at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not today. He did last night

Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. But it seemed he tried about 15 min ago. Nothing happened

I recommend getting him to the vet for an abdominal x-ray. There is also a blood test that can be done to check for pancreatitis. I think the likelihood is high that he has that going on, just based on how much pain he is in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My vet opens in about an hour. Do I need to take him to emergency vet hospital?

No, you can wait until your vet opens. I would get him seen today, though.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Veterinarian