Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a rawhide bone and was vomiting blood this

morning. I took her to...
My dog ate a rawhide bone and was vomiting blood this morning. I took her to the emergency vet where they did an x-ray. There was something that showed up in the intestine but the vet didn’t seem too alarmed and sent me home to watch her for a few days and not give her any food for 24 hours. They gave her subcutaneous fluids and anti nausea medicine. I am still worried that I should’ve pushed for surgery... should I take her back? She has not vomited again. It has been about 10 hours since she last vomited.
3/12/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry to hear your girl is ill.

In a case like this the item could pass on its own and as long as she is still passing stool and not vomiting, she should be ok.

You can take her to your regular Vet tomorrow and they may decided to run a Barrium X ray which may give a better look at the item and may help move the item through.

I would wait until tomorrow and speak with your regular Vet. In the mean time follow the directions from the ER Vet. tonight.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns.

Joan

Okay, so if she is not vomiting I should not be concerned tonight? She is a bit lethargic but could that be from the anti nausea medication she received at the vet?
It was not a ton of blood. It looked like mucus and I didn’t realize it had blood in it until I wiped it up
She pooped when we got home from the vet around 2-3 pm. She hasn’t pooped since but hasn’t been given any food or water since last night other than the fluids at the vet.

She had sub q fluids and they gave Cerenia, she should be ok tonight and then follow up with her own Vet. She may not pass stool again tonight. She will most likely urinate a lot from the fluids. I would just watch her. THe Vet in the morning will be able to get a look look at the item then and see what you are dealing wiith. I would guess a piece of Rawhide. I never recommend any rawhide toys.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

Did you have further questions or concerns that I can assist with? Please let me know what your Vet says after she is seen. If she starts vomiting again, then at that point the ER visit will be needed

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maisy. How is everything going?

Joan