Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Constant liking of his analysis region, he's had it before…

Customer Question
Constant liking of his...

Constant liking of his analysis region, he's had it before and I expressed them and he was fine, I just want to be sure I was doing right, I didn't get much discharge. Is him licling it only making it worse?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Anal region

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Right lower Anal region, he's has licked it raw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Todd he is 3 years old, I just took him for his vet checkup on friday, this happened today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Todd?

He is healthy, they ran a blood test for parasites and he is fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Todd?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
3/11/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Todd is uncomfortable, licking his perianal area more than normal, and I do think he is trying to tell you something. I understand that you were trying to help, and I don't think you hurt him, but it sounds like your efforts weren't completely successful.

With your description I believe that Todd is suffering from impacted or infected anal gland(s). Rarely this can be the sign of a mass in the gland. Anal glands are scent glands located at the 5 & 7 o'clock position around the anus. If for whatever reason the glands don't empty properly or the discharge becomes too thick the gland overfills, may become infected and is painful. I suspect that you didn't get much out when you expressed them because the discharge was too thick or the duct is partially blocked.
If the glands are unable to empty eventually with nowhere else to go the gland can eventually abscess out through the skin. This is a common problem for dogs and seems to be more common in overweight dogs that are fed lots of table scraps or eat a diet low in fiber. These glands are normally expressed when passing stool but if he eats a diet low in fiber his stools may be too small or infrequent to empty them.

Dogs will scoot their bottom on the ground, even sometimes spinning in an attempt to empty their glands, or they may lick their bottom excessively. Unfortunately the more he licks the more trauma he creates and the worse off he will be you need to prevent him from licking any more.

As far as long term prevention if this becomes a recurrent problem for him I recommend weight loss if he is overweight.
I also recommend decreasing or stopping entirely table scraps.
A diet higher in fiber, such as a weight loss diet or mature diet, may help. Sometimes a prescription food very high in fiber like Hills r/d or Purina Veterinary Diets OM is needed.

If he will let you touch the area he would benefit from a cool compress to the perianal area, patting dry and then applying a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the area a couple times today and until you can have his anal glands checked.

Unfortunately the more he licks and scoots the more painful the area will be and the more tissue trauma he will cause. Since the area appears red and he is licking then an e-collar (lampshade) is a great idea until he can see a veterinarian.

I know that he is uncomfortable but if he is still eating and drinking normally today then this isn't an emergency, just see his veterinarian soon to check his anal glands. Do not feed him breakfast the day you take him in as they may need to sedate him to treat him.
If he seems absolutely miserable today though then an emergency visit today is your best way of getting him immediate relief.
There are other reasons for perianal itchiness, such as a flea infestation, tapeworm infections or a food allergy reaction but the most common cause is anal gland troubles.
Best of luck with Todd, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Charlene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****