Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I M WILLING TO WAIT. *** How does one remove a tick from a…

THIS QUESTION IS FOR DR...
THIS QUESTION IS FOR DR. BRUCE. I M WILLING TO WAIT. ***How does one remove a tick from a dog's face?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi again! Tick removal is something that in all reality can’t really be done in a bad way. What typically works best is to grasp the base where it is attached (the head area) and just gently pull till it comes off. If it breaks, then you can just re grab it and get the rest. You’re not going to injure him by doing this.
Ick! I got it. And it looks whole. He had 8 legs -- still moving. Is that the whole tick?Ewww!
That should be all the tick. 8 legged balls of “ick”! Even if a small piece was left behind, the body would extrude it with time and it wouldn’t be of major concern. I personally hate, hate, hate ticks! I like to go mushroom hunting in the spring and that is prime time to get ticks in myself and it totally gives me the shivers.
Yeah. I live in Maine, where we have them.But I'm at the sister's place in Connecticut, and this place is crawling with them! Lyme disease etc. The Lyme disease is why I check Teddy at least once a day. Turns out it paid off this time.Thank you once again.And one more ick!
Some areas definitely have more ticks than others. There are definitely good tick preventatives out there. Frontline is he one I like with my pets!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi Michelle Anderson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Teddy. How is everything going?