Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

One of my afghan hounds started dropping coat, I had her at…

One of my afghan hounds...
One of my afghan hounds started dropping coat, I had her at a show over the week end she is a canadian champion but hasn't been to a show for a couple of years, the breeder was worried and told me to get a blood test becaus some where along the line a relative dog died of cushions disease 9 years old her brother died of cancer at the age of 2 not befor siering a litter of 7 pups, I'm just worried do you think I should get blood test?
3/11/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Unless Sparkle were eating you out of house and home and drinking like a fish, testing for Cushing's would be inappropriate. Testing for hypothyroidism, however, makes sense along with a carerful examination of Sparkle's skin to see if there's an underlying infection (bacterial, fungal, parasitic) associated with her coat condition. There are also reproductive hormone-related skin disorders that need to be considered in the intact female such as "sex hormone dermatosis" which appears as bilaterally symmetrical, regionalized (flanks, perineum, inguinal) to generalized truncal alopecia that usually spares the head and limbs. This can be a challenge to confirm by sex hormone assays because false-negative and false-positive results are common. Response to spaying and seeing hair regrowth confirms this dermatosis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

her appetite is normal this dog that died of cushings, they did a necropsy thats why we know it was cushings, I'm thinking along the line of thyroid or just nerves? Breeder asked me to do a blood test regardless next week end 2 of my hounds are going for eye cert I plan on breeding if there is nothing wron with this bitch if so I will have to have her spayed and hope for the best with my other bitch, should I wait for the blood test because I woud like to see my vet when he comes back from his stay in mexico till April, he left before xmas even though there is a lot of other qualified vets at this hospital i find that he's more old school. maybe you've heard of Dr. ***** *****?

Yes, hypothryoidism and and either anagen (actively growing hair) or telogen (not actively growing hair) defluxion are important considerations. Defluxion can cause an alopecia that develops when normal hair growth and cycle are adversely affected by underlying disease or stressors of any kind such as chemotherapy drug administration, infection, metabolic disease, fever, pregnancy, shock, surgery, and anethesia.

No, I'm not familiar with Dr. Allen. Yes, have a fasted (at least 4 hours; never restrict water, however) basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a T4 (total thyroid) blood test performed in conjunction with a complete physical exam. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you you've answered my question.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.