Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My husband was playing with our dog, stepped on him, and now…

My husband was playing...

My husband was playing with our dog, stepped on him, and now there is blood in his urine. his stomach was very tight after the incident. and the dog has been hiding out since

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Nixon 2.5yrs

3/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has stopped peeing blood, it appears. However, he is drinking a lot. He went through 3 bowls of water in a few hours (this is very unusual for him). He's obviously not playing much, lots of laying around. His gums are light pink (much lighter than normal, but still pink). His stomach is staying engorged but as I said he is also drinking a ton

What breed of dog is Nixon?

When did the trauma occur?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How are his eating habits?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is a Maltese yorkie cross. The trauma occurred last night around 8pm MST. No medication or diarehha. He was dry heaving last night but not this morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He would eat treats but he hasn't been interested in hos food dish
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs about 6lbs. My husband weighs about 178lbs.

Have there been any changes to the diet which might have caused the dry heaving? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I'm assuming it was from how quickly he was drinking his water. It was immediately after. Which isn't incredibly unusual, he has done that before from drinking too fast

The blood in his urine is likely due to the trauma that he sustained. It may indicate internal injury, so an examination would be wise to evaluate his external genitalia and also to ensure the bladder has not suffered any damage which might need surgical repair. It's not uncommon for there to be a small tear to the bladder wall with abdominal trauma, which may require surgery or otherwise leak urine in to the abdomen. Him avoiding human contact since the accident is also worthy of concern. Signs of concern can range greatly from blood in the urine to tenderness in the abdomen. If you wish to wait and watch Nixon, I would have him examined if additional signs of abnormality persist even if this is drinking large volumes of water. I would also try to keep him from tanking up on fluids as this may wind up causing secondary symptoms like nausea and vomiting.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Nixon doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse