Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Pain. She weighs 53lbs. Have her 4 coated baby aspirin 10…

Customer Question
Pain. She weighs 53lbs. Have...
Pain. She weighs 53lbs. Have her 4 coated baby aspirin 10 hours ago. She is whining again and won't settle down. I'm afraid to give her another dose
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/11/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of 5mg to 10mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Since she had a low dosage you might try increasing it a little to keep her pain free for the whole 12 hours and perhaps even a little longer. It should be ok to give it a little early. Remember that you can only give it for a couple of days and she will need to see your vet.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Can I give her a coated baby aspirin?