Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a 12lb Shih Tzu and I accidentally gave her 2

tablets of 200mg simplicef. I...
My dog is a 12lb Shih Tzu and I accidentally gave her 2 tablets of 200mg simplicef. I gave her one and my mom gave her one will she be okay?
3/11/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

I am sorry I gave her 1 tablet of 200mg of simplicef they were halved my mom gave her half and I gave her half
I would not like to be called

No problem with the phone I am confident I can give you the correct advice but by typing back and forth ...

Hello, again Alexis,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! Antibiotics such as Simplicef { which is often used in the dog } have a very high margin of safety in the dog, so much so that doses of many times the recommended dose rate would have few if any side effects, so a double dose is generally nothing to worry about. That said a few dogs may perhaps experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, but really this is about the worst I would expect and even if this happens it is not likely to be anything to worry about and should soon pass on its own. And just give the next regular dose at the regular time.

2. Given the above there are no special measure you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog, the chances are she will be just fine. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back in the unlikely event that your Shih Tzu's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Okay thanks

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott